Enabling Facebook Authentication

Sep 29, 2011 at 3:56 AM

I am trying to enable the use of Facebook authentication and I am not 100% sure what is required in order to get the communication going between FB and my Orchard site.

I have created a FB app, setup the AppID and AppSecert in my Orchard site and I have added the widget and so now what?

In my FB app, I have configured the website URL (my orchard site I assume). 

Step two -advanced settings set App Type to Web - This is set by default

Step Three - "Forces use of login secret for OAuth call and for auth.login" to On, - No idea where this setting is

Step Four - "Encrypted Access Token" to On. No idea where this setting is.

Right now my site can add the widget, but when I click the link to login, nothing happens.

If someone can give me some guidance on what configuration steps that I am missing, I would greatly appreciate it.

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2011 at 11:55 AM
Edited Sep 29, 2011 at 12:00 PM

I see you have read the other discussion.

By "when I click the link to login, nothing happens" you mean that even the FB login popup isn't showing? Could you check if there are any JavaScript errors (it is most likely to cause this, although I'm not aware of anything potentially defect)? The Connect feature of Facebook Suite currently requires JavaScript to run (of course all the social plugins require it anyway), although I'm planning to add the functionality of non-javascript login. So make sure JS you have enabled.

The auth settings are under the app settings/Advanced (Edit Settings on the app settings frontpage on developers.facebook.com -> Advanced). Actually these are only advised, FacebookSDK also works with the old way of authentication too, but Facebook will soon only support OAuth.

Sep 29, 2011 at 2:26 PM

When I click the link, it does not look like the browser is executing anything.  The icon on the browser does not start spinning, it just sits there.  No facebook login page, nada nothing. 

So is this an indication of it being an Orchard based issue or a Facebook application issue.  I am new to create FB apps, so I am not sure where to start my troublshooting.

Coordinator
Sep 29, 2011 at 7:44 PM

This looks entirely a local issue with the module. Could your check whether there are any javascript errors? In Firefox look at the error console. It looks like the click action of the button doesn't get fired, what is weird.