Usage of Facebook modules

Jan 21, 2012 at 2:03 PM
Edited Jan 21, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Sorry, but I am new to Facebook (I know about IT, I just avoided it for years for the friend-to-friend aspect, and now I am going to use it for business).  Also, am still relatively new to Orchard.

I was looking for a Facebook module, and came across the compilation of modules you have. Seems very comprehensive. Is there any website or link for how to use them all together? I see some of the docs from pre-1.0 which give a bit of information, but I was hoping like a "How-To" tutorial. Alternatively, can anyone share a link to a live site that is using the suite?

As an example of what I'm struggling with is the Connect module. I understand about Facebook authentication, but I saw that there may be an issue with authentication and was wondering if its worth it to use (as if it would be overkill on my site).

Thanks.

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2012 at 10:13 PM

I would advice you to first understand Orchard concepts, most notably "content parts", "content types", "content items" and "widgets". I'm sure you know it, but the Orchard docs is a good start.

Now I think if you understand these concepts I think you'll find the (admittedly very short) documentation (which is up-to-date now with 1.0 too) also sufficient; but the module(s) are really easy to use if you are already familiar how you can manage content parts or widgets. I have to confess, however, that how the social plugins now work as parts is not optimal (they should really be configurable pert content type-basis; they're configurable per content item), but they're fine as widgets. After the release of Orchard 1.4 I'll rework the part behavior (but this won't affect how they're used as widgets, so if you intend to use them as such, don't be afraid). With what do you have difficulties precisely?

Which issue do you mean with Facebook Connect? There's no known issue so far (well, this is here, but as the user haven't confirmed, I have to think it was just a misunderstanding of configuration).

Let me know the specific problems and I'll try to help.

Jan 21, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Alot of reading so I may have misstated the problem. I think you had text in the gallery that linked to a fix for the issue I was mentioning, so I'll check there first.

I appreciate the help. I wish I had time and resources to create a website that just loads all the Orchard modules so that people could see how things look/work, with some content describing how things work. It's easier for someone like me, between an end-user and a developer. But that's just me rambling.

Coordinator
Jan 23, 2012 at 11:36 AM

I think you're speaking about the issue with multiple modules using the same 3rd party assembly, in this case, the Facebook SDK dlls. I release a module that packages the SDK (so all module can use the same dlls) to address this issue.

Yeah, at first it's hard to understand everything that's going on with Orchard, but IMO it's well worth of the time investment.